This post is dedicated to a friend of mine, who is too much into shrimps. Too much so, that the i fear a day when the physical features would eventually become one like a shrimp ! :p
Here are some interesting facts that you probably didn’t know about shrimp:
1. They dance: To attract fish, cleaning shrimp wave their white antennae and do a little dance. Several shrimp species, known as cleaners, safely venture inside the open mouths of fishes to remove bloodsucking parasites.
Shake a leg, Shrimp! :p
2. They are defenders of the deep: Coral shrimp in the Indo-Pacific live exclusively in association with corals, dining on their host’s mucus and protecting the coral from predators. Navy submarines sometimes hide in beds of snapping shrimp to disguise their location from sonar detection.
3. They are loud: Snapping shrimp make louder sounds than any other marine animals, producing a noise with their claws that is greater than a gunshot or jet engine.
4. They are strong: Harlequin shrimp, from the Pacific and Indian oceans, use their flat, oversize claws to sever arms from sea stars for food.
5. Shrimp contain a cancer-fighting mineral.
You’ll want to keep this shrimp information in mind: if the small crustacean is a part of your diet, it may reduce your risk of developing cancer. That’s because shrimp contain selenium, an antioxidant mineral that activates enzymes to fight the growth of cancer-causing free radicals.
6.In many parts of the world, shrimps are eaten with the heads on.
The alien-like appearance may deter many Americans from cooking and eating this critter whole, but in many regions are the world, the shrimp head is left on. When it’s cooked, the head has a rich flavor and a crunchy texture that some people love.
Do you know that an average shrimp has 10 legs !!!!! :O
-Every shrimp is born a male and then becomes female as they mature (wild and crazy shrimp) LOL !!!! 😛
-April 29th is Nation Shrimp Scampi Day